According to the CDC, “in simple terms, well-being can be described as judging life positively and feeling good”. (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2016).
Nurse leaders can take “HEART” by fostering staff resilience and well-being to help them navigate through uncertainties during crises.
- H – Hear, be open and actively listen to what staff have to say
- E – Empathize, be authentically present, and acknowledge their concerns
- A – Advocate for them and Act to address their concerns
- R – Recognize their commitment, perseverance, and vulnerability
- T – Thank them in ways they value most
Do remember that staff look to leaders as role-models!
By ensuring your own well-being, staff will most likely integrate the same behavior and safeguard theirs as well.